Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach, the company founder’s grandson, was indicted together with eleven staff members. Since December 15, 1943, Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach had been the sole owner of the Krupp company. Back then, the company was the largest industrial enterprise and key arms supplier of the Third Reich. In 1944, the company had employed approximately 100,000 forced labourers and concentration-camp inmates. Especially at Friedrich Krupp Berthawerk A.G., which was established in spring 1942 in Marktstaedt near Wroclaw, a substantial number of inmates from the nearby Auschwitz concentration camp were put to work, both for the construction of the factory and later on in the production.
Among other things, the indictment held that the Krupp company had played a leading role in the secret and illegal rearmament programme in the Weimar Republic, had supported Hitler’s accession to power, had organized the German industry according to Nazi principles and consciously and deliberately collaborated in the German rearmament for the purpose of foreign conquests, and had "looted and exploited the property and resources of occupied countries and enslaved citizens of these territories as an integrative part of the acts of aggression". (Telford Taylor)